Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Proverbs 15

I hope you've had time already to look over the pages of Proverbs 15.  What a great passage!  Did you see our key words repeated again and again - the fool and the fear of the Lord.

Well, here is something that has stood out for me today:  People still think they can hide things from God...sin, money, selfish or foolish tendencies, hatred of other and so much more.  But look at verse 2 from Proverbs 15 - what does it say...

Proverbs 15:2 -"the eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good..."

Did you see it?  In the first nine words of the verse the concept of hiding anything from God is put to shame.  "the eyes of the Lord are in every place..."

This is not a new concept for the writer of Proverbs, King Solomon.  What I mean is this - the omnipresence of God almighty was something he would have learned from his daddy - King David.  Look at the words of Psalm 139:
"O Lord, you have searched men and known me!  You know when I sit down and when I rise...You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.  Even before a word is on my tongue - you know it...Where shall I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence? ...if I say "Surely the darkness shall cover me...even the darkness is not dark to you...the night is a bright as the day..."

David understood that the Lord was always present and always watching and he has given that instruction now to his son -King Solomon, and Solomon is relaying it on to us in greater detail.  Notice some verses that he points out about God's watchful eye on the good and evil people - first the evil:
 - The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD...
 - The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns...
 - The Lord tears down the house of the proud...
 - The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD.
 - The Lord is far from the wicked...

REMEMBER:  God is ever and always knowing and hearing and watching the way of the wicked and the good.  Nothing is getting by him.  It may seem like it to you in the moment, but the Lords ways are not your ways and the Lord is slow to anger, and we are not.  His patience is a character trait I am often grateful for in light of my sinful tendencies, aren't you?  Trust His word when it says that he will tread the wine press of his great wrath on the evil of this world, but be thankful that when we ask how much longer he says -"just a little while more..."  For sinners are still coming to Him.  Yes - He will deal with the wicked, proud and sluggard in his time - you can be sure of it.

And rest assured as well, as Solomon tells us, that the LORD watches not just the evil but the good.  Notice from the Text:
 - the prayer of the upright is acceptable to HIM...
 - In the house of the righteous there is much treasure...
 - the lips of the wise spread knowledge
 - He loves him  who pursues righteousness...
 - the path of the upright is a level highway...
 - The LORD hears the prayers of the righteous...

Do not ever wonder if God is watching - by his very nature and character he is!  Ponder then, do I do justice and righteousness, or do I choose the path of injustice and sin?  What ever you choose, remember He is seeing your every move.  I would say CHOOSE RIGHTEOUSNESS...but the choice, as always, is up to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment