Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Proverbs 7

A couple of thoughts for today that stood out from my reading of Proverbs 7.

1) vv. 1-5 - As much as it pains me to admit it, MY DAD WAS RIGHT! (There, I said it.) As I read the first 5 verses, I could see my father saying the same things to me.  But sadly, I had a hard time listening.  I was, after all, A teenager who by all accounts knew everything about anything.  Dad’s ways were old fashion -my ways were cool and exciting.  But in retrospect, I wish I would have treasured his commandments and kept them as the apple of my eye.  I wish I would have bound them on my fingers and kept them close to my heart.  Years of rebellion and frustration would have been less-existent and years of loss in my spiritual walk would have never taken place.  I can never get those back, but I can encourage my teens and you - pay attention to the admonitions of the Lord in his word.  Years from today you will be able to rejoice in the fact that they kept you from sin and strengthened your resolve to better worship of our King of Kings.

2) I was thinking of a phrase we love to use here at Harvest - “Choose to sin, Choose to suffer…”  Solomon is writing to his children to encourage them to flee the adulterous women.  Most of the chapter details how she stalks her pray and how he finally gives in to his lust for her.  It happens in a moment!  v. 22 - “All at once he follows her…”  He was close enough to see her and know what she wanted, but he made the choice and he follows.  How does God say that will work out for him?  Notice -
        “…as a ox goes to the slaughter,
        or as a stag (deer) is caught fast
        till an arrow pierces its liver.
        as a bird rushes into a snare (trap)…


These are not pretty pictures.  Sin has a price.  Sin gives you your reward all up front - 110% of satisfaction and pleasure -  but it cost you everything, (conversely, Salvation cost Christ everything and is given as our reward, a reward that last for an eternity.)  The last part of v.23 I circled as a reminder of the cost of chasing something that isn’t suppose to be mine.  Notice what it says - In fact - get your bible out and look it up - I’ll wait… are you there?  Ok  - Here it is:

HE DOES NOT KNOW THAT IT WILL COST HIM HIS LIFE…

I don’t think that the Hebrew language had and explanation point, but if it did - I would think Solomon would have put 5 down, and if he had highlighters he would have colored over this to draw attention to it.  How tragic the life of the one caught in the cycle of sin.  Like Sampson of the Old Testament, unable to discern right from wrong and constantly putting their needs in front of what God desires for them.  Sin is blinding, binding and grinding.  Flee it, and do not set your eyes upon it ever church  - for it will eat you up and leave only a shell of a person you could have been for the Lord.

Blessing,
Pastor Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment