Thursday, July 9, 2015

Proverbs 8 WISDOM

Proverbs 8

Wisdom!  I think all of us would love another dose or two of wisdom.  But what do we really know about it?  In Proverbs 8 (and part of 9), we find a good bit of information about wisdom.


  1. Wisdom was created by God before the foundations of the world.  v.22 - "The LORD possessed (or Created) me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of old.”
  2. When Wisdom speaks, she speaks what is right. vv.6-8 “…Hear, for I will speak noble things and from my lips will com what is right, for my mouth will utter truth; All the words of my mouth are righteous…” 
  3. Proverbs 1:7 says that wisdom has its beginnings in us when we fear the Lord.  “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge (or wisdom), but fools despise wisdom and instruction…”
  4. Those who seek after wisdom reap the fruits of her reward.  vv. 19-21 “…My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold, and my yield than choice silver.  I walk in the way of righteousness, in the paths of justice, granting an inheritance to those who love me and filling their treasuries.”
  5. Finding Wisdom gives us favor with God.  Notice verse 35 - “For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from the Lord…” 
  6. Lastly - failure to find wisdom, or even seek her, has consequences as well - v.36 - “But he who fails to find me injures himself; all who HATE ME love DEATH…” Wow! 

Wisdom is an important attribute to add to your spiritual life and walk.  How do we find it, or obtain it.  Seek it out.  It can be found first and for most in the word of God.  Read it, Memorize it, study it, meditate on it.  Secondly, ask God for more wisdom.  James 1:5 says that "if any of us lack wisdom, let us ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.  But let him ask in faith without doubting…

Church, seek Wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment