Friday, July 26, 2013

2 John - Part 2

1A] God’s People are Filled Up with Truth!  We learned Truth is important, and God is truth!  Now onto part 2 - notice from the text…

2A] God’s People ENCOURAGE others with LOVE. (vv.4-5)  Notice from the text:  I rejoice greatly to find some of your children walking  in the truth just as we were commanded by the Father…”  Stop there - Question - Do you know one of the exciting things about seeing you all each week?  Every Sunday I am so blessed as I think about each of you and how you are growing and how I watch you worship Jesus, (the real reason we are here).  I get so pumped up about what God is doing in you, through the truth.  That what John is saying here - When I hear about you and your children, Your Church and its people - I am fired up!  And like John, I love to hear what God is doing in and through you; to see you praying with others and to watch victory in the truth come out of your lives! Keep pressing on in your walk with Christ!
            Then he continues: “And now I ask you, dear lady - not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning - that we LOVE on another…” Love!  The Love from God that we have for each other - it is what encourages and blesses us as well as others.  I tweeted this week, “Love has always been the single outstanding Characteristic of Jesus and his followers.”  (John 13:35 - “This is how they will know that you are my disciples, if you LOVE one another.”)  So let me ask you - Do you know what Christian Love is?  Is it feelings? Is it emotions?  Well it can be, but I think it is bigger than that…look here, don’t miss this…Christian Love is the act of the will that causes us to treat people the way God has treated you. Whoa - DOESN’T that blow your mind - Mind blown!        Now, for a moment, think about God’s love. If it were emotionally based we wouldn’t have a chance. We would have all been destroyed long ago.  He would have been like Zeus, or Buddha - unknowable, distant and withdrawn.  If it were based on feelings, we would have never known him in our sinful state. But God’s love came to us and drew us to himself and freely gave of himself at Calvary.  Again - Mind blown.  Now John reminds them - this isn’t a new command, but one you should know.  This isn’t based on looks, or feelings, or even emotion, but this is an act of your will.  LISTEN - We may not feel like we should love a person, but we must.  We can’t will our affections - (feelings and emotions) but we can will our attitudes and actions.  HOW NATE? Here is this example - if you want to be rude - try being kind.  Or, if you want to persecute them, yell at them, argue with them, or poke fun at them - pray for them and do good to them.  This is what Paul says in Romans 12.

Marks of the True Christian
9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. 14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

            Did you see how we are to respond in Love?  Have genuine love (v.9); Have love that is outdoing one another (v.10); Bless those who persecute you (v.14); Live at peace with all men (v. 18); and Love doesn’t act on emotion, but does just the opposite.  See it, “If your enemy is hungry/thirsty give him something to eat or drink”  WHO DOES THAT - People of the Truth, God’s people!
            Now, think about it - won’t that just blow someone away.  You may not be emotionally attached, but I can say without a doubt, you will feel better and they will be floored. 
Illustration: Let me finish with this story? I love the discipleship process.  Seeing someone who has just come to Jesus and seeing the lights come on.  Several years ago I had the privilege to work one on one with a young man.  We spent many months growing him in the faith. I bought many lunches, and ordered many pizzas as we worked through issues in his life.  Now our family was moving away.  I thought I could trust him to watch a few things of mine, important things.  I know you can see what is coming, so I’ll just say it - it didn’t end well.  On a return visit to my old stomping grounds and after months of silence, who do you think showed up?  Yes there was a lot of hurt there, but what are you suppose to do?  We are commanded to Love one another.  So I did what Romans 12 said - I grabbed 3 slices of pizza and a root beer and headed in.  Did it fix the issue? NO.  Did he admit the wrong?  NO.  Was anything resolved about the hurt that was dealt? NO!  So, what was the result?  OK, as a Christian - one of God’s people - I have to love one another - and I have to tell you, to get down and dirty and involved in the process makes me feel better.  Also, to those teenage eyes that were watching me - I showed them what love is supposed to do, even when it hurts.  And finally, I have left the door open for a time when we can address the issue. 

God’s people - They are people that show other people LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment